Using Biscuits to Make Turnovers

Category Pastries
Turnovers can easily be made using canned biscuits. This method helps save the time that would otherwise be needed to make pie crust dough. The crust consistency may not be the same however. This is a guide about using biscuits to make turnovers.

To make apple or cherry turnovers can I use Grand biscuits as the crust instead of having to make pie crust? I just don't want the dough to be to gummy.

By Cindy Estes C.

Answers

Best Answer

I have made apple, peach and cherry turnovers, using canned pie filling and Grands. I separated each biscuit in half, and pressed each half out as thin as possible without making holes in the dough. Put a spoonful of pie flling on one side, fold over the dough, and press edges together. I use a fork.

Then bake 10-15 minutes at 375 degrees until brown. Let cool 10 minutes then remove from tray and enjoy. You can brush the tops of the unbaked turnovers with egg wash or milk, and you can sprinkle tops with sugar before baking. You can also drizzle frosting over the warm turnovers. I use canned frosting heated briefly in a measuring cup with a pour spout in the microwave and then drizzled over the turnovers.

These taste very good, and are not soggy if baked thoroughly. I tried using one biscuit per turnover, and the centers were soggy when the outside was brown. Hope this helps.

I suppose you could, but I just don't think they would turn out the same. To me it seems like the biscuit dough would be courser.

Thank you for your help. Going to give these a try tonight.