CakesBaking

Using Candy Melts Without a Mold

Category Cakes

I want to make a dinosaur skeleton for my son's birthday cake that will lay in the cookie crumb topping like it's a dinosaur dig. It was suggested to me that I use candy melts to pipe bones out on wax paper. If I'm not using a candy mold, will it just run all over or spread? Is it thick enough to hold it's shape without a mold?

By Nicole

As long as you don't over-heat it, it should hold it's shape nicely. Draw the bones you want onto paper (for a pattern), then put that under your waxed paper and then place your melted candy in a heavy duty plastic bag. Cut a small corner off the bag and you can use that to pipe the candy. Do a test "blob" to see how much it will spread. Your idea sounds really fun, your son is a lucky boy!

I have no idea how to answer your question, except to say make a trial run.
Your design sure sounds clever. Good luck! How about using thing licorice strings for the body?