Using Nail Caps on Pets

Category Cats
Many cat owners prefer to not have their pets declawed, however those pointy, sharp claws do need some type of attention. One option is using nail caps. This is a guide about using nail caps on pets.

Our cat has decided to start clawing wooden furniture. He has never done this before and building him a scratching post has not stopped him from destroying our furniture. I cut his nails frequently but that hasn't helped completely either. I have used nail caps on cats before and decided to use them on him. The ones I have are made by Softpaws, but there are others. They are soft, silicone caps that you glue onto their nails with super glue. They do not harm their nails and they come off over time as their nails grow out.

To apply them you first need to clip their nails short. Then you apply glue to the inside the cap, then gently push their nail out, and slip the cap on. Hold their nail out for a second for the glue to set and repeat on each nail. I chose to use hot pink so that as the caps come off I know which ones to replace. They work really well and are a great alternative to having your furniture destroyed or having your cat declawed.

I would advise anyone who is considering the rubber nail caps for their cat or dog, talk to their vet first. There are two concerns I have:

1. I tried them and it is difficult to keep the glue off the nail beds. My one cat developed an autoimmune problem in her nail beds. The dermatology vet can't confirm that the glue was the cause, but she is a bit suspicious and recommended that I stop using them on all my pets.

2. If a pet continues to chew on the nail cap, they can come off and then it can become a choking hazard. I didn't even think about that when I chose to use them. I would strongly recommend to consider other options besides nail caps.

By Andrea from OH