Using Checks

Even with the increasing popularity of shopping, banking, and paying bills on line, there are still occasions when you will need to use a check. This is a page about using checks.

I don't carry a bulky checkbook any more, but sometimes I need a check for those businesses who don't accept credit cards (hairdresser, etc.). I carry a couple of loose checks in my wallet, and I attach a tiny post it note to each of them. When I use the check, I put the info on the post it note and then put that in a clearly visible place in my wallet. (I put mine behind my driver's license, which is behind a plastic window.)

By Jan from St. Petersburg, FL

I put deductible on the memo line on checks and, when balancing my account, write the name, etc. of the amount and to who the deductible was written to on the statement page. At years end, you can quickly get this part on paper ready for your tax preparer.

By Betty from Paducah, KY

With all the identity theft that goes on it is a smart thing to keep your Social Security numbers off of your checks. Also, the state in which we live will use your social security number as your driver's license number unless you ask them to do differently.

By Robin

For anyone who's going to be getting married soon, this bit of info is for you. If you still write personal checks, instead of doing everything online, consider using up all your printed personal checks, until they're all gone. Just update your married name by hand each time you write a check. (Do this only if you plan on keeping your account at the same banking establishment.) When your old checks are almost gone, then re-order your new checks with yours and your new spouse's info on them. No use wasting the older checks.

Budget & Finance AdviceJuly 19, 2016
🎄
🎉

Generated 2019-12-07 13:25:09 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️