Using Dish Cloths

To keep your dishrag nice and clean and sanitary, put it in your dishwasher with your dirty dishes. I do this all the time and always get compliments on my dishrag looking and smelling nice.

By Bettbee from FL

5 More Solutions

As I have gotten older, I have discovered the best dishrag for me is actually what is known as a barkeeper's towel. It's certainly bigger than a dishrag but more of a square shape than a tea towel, and is made of really absorbent cotton with a great nap to it.

My dish cloth is always full of rich suds. Every time I want to wipe the oven door, etc., I have to rinse all those suds from the cloth. A waste of detergent, water and time.

Do you think it is sanitary to use the same dish cloth you wash dishes with to wipe off the countertop and stove? I read an article that stated this was unsanitary and you should have a dish cloth for washing the dishes and another one for cleaning the stove and surrounding areas only. I figured with 2 dish cloths laying around in the kitchen one could easily forget which one is for cleaning. What do you think?

By Onesummer

Answers

I think it's just fine to use one cloth to wash the dishes and then wipe the counters, at least that's what do. I agree that with so many different ones laying around you're likely to forget which is which. I toss mine in the laundry each night and start the day with a clean one but that's as far as I'll go.

If you know you've cleaned something germy like meat juice , you could give it a quick rinse in bleach or wet it really well and microwave it for two minutes. I do this with sponges.

I prefer handi wipes I get from the dollar tree. It's nice to rinse things out through the little pores and they are only a quarter each. You can often find them in different colors, which would help keep them straight.

I use one clean micro cloth every day to clean/wipe the counter, appliances, dishes, but never, never the floor. I clean and rinse the cloth frequently when I am doing "kitchen duty". When I am finished, I drape the cloth over the stove handle to dry thoroughly. I have this "thing" about keeping everything dry in the kitchen. Standing water breeds germs. I am told I'm a fanatic about this but we all have our fussy "things".

When I am cleaning up meat/chicken juices in the kitchen area, depending on the amount to clean, I use paper towels or I will use another different colored cloth. To make sure that I don't use the wrong one, I will put the cloth that I use daily out of my reach/sight until I am done cleaning up.

I have been married for over thirty years and my family were quite healthy and never had any major type of sickness. I think sometimes this germ/contamination ideas we hear about are overblown. But I do agree that when using meats/chicken in the kitchen, a person should be careful about cross-contamination.

Everyone has their own method of cooking and cleaning in the kitchen. For example, I like to clean and wipe as I cook. I find this easier for me. I know others who wait until they are done cooking and then clean up. My hubby's method is to let me clean up. He says I am too fussy about cleaning up. I say he isn't fussy enough.

So since I claim the kitchen as my domain, he doesn't get to use it too often -- my kitchen, my rules. He likes this idea since he gets to eat whatever I create in my domain.

Using it to wipe off the stove is one thing, but I would use something else for the counter tops. I use wipes that contain chlorox in them to disinfect. In fact, I also use them for wiping all surfaces in the bathroom - using one for the toliet area, one for the counter tops, etc. This way there's no cross contamination.

I am with Glenn'sMom ;-)

My mother taught me to always keep a sponge in the refrigerator to wash the dishes with. The sponge for the counters is left at the sink and microwaved once a week to kill germs.

I use the same one. However, I get all my dishes washed first. Then I wash down the counters and stove. After that the cloth goes in the hamper to be washed before using it again. Also I always wash my dish cloths with bleach. And I always use a clean one every time I do the dishes.

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceNovember 15, 2015
🎄
🍂
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Dish-Cloths.html