Using Ham Hocks in Recipes

Category Ham
Ham hocks are perfect to use when preparing soups, dried beans, and more. This is a guide about using ham hocks in recipes.

Add a ham hock to the pot when cooking beans and peas. This brings so much flavor; whether it is fresh vegetables or frozen.

By Gayle C. from Tallahassee, FL

Top Comment

I agree that for flavoring dried beans and peas nothing beats the flavor of ham hocks. I cook the hocks separately the day before, until the meat is falling off the bone. I discard the bone and fat while still warm, then refrigerate the broth and skim off most of the congealed fat before adding the liquid to the water I cook the beans in. I usually shred the meat and add it after the beans are cooked.

Honey Baked Hams sells ham hocks. They have a lot of ham still on them, and they are priced by weight. The prices are very reasonable, and the best part is, that you buy one and get one of equal or lesser value absolutely free. They come wrapped and frozen, and they are so great to add to a pot of dried beans. Enjoy!

By Jacklyn from Victorville, CA

I have 2 ham hocks and 2 bags of large lima beans. I just bought a pressure cooker. Could someone tell me how to cook them. There is no recipe for it in the book. My cooker is a 6 qt. one.
Thank you in advance.

By Sherry H. from Valdosta, GA

Answers

Best Answer

When I was a young cook, I tried cooking navy beans in my pressure cooker. The safety valve blew and I had beans all over my kitchen.

Soak your beans over night. They will swell twice their size or more. If the ham hocks are salty, you will probably want to soak them also and pour that water off. After soaking, cover the beans and ham hocks with water, add salt if needed and cook slowly. A crock pot works really well for cooking beans.