Cooking Ham Hocks and Dry Beans in a Pressure Cooker

It will be best to soak your beans first before cooking them, and even your ham hock to remove excess salt. This is a guide about cooking ham hocks and dry beans in a pressure cooker.

I have 2 ham hocks and 2 bags of large lima beans. I just bought a pressure cooker. Could someone tell me how to cook them. There is no recipe for it in the book. My cooker is a 6 qt. one.
Thank you in advance.

By Sherry H. from Valdosta, GA

Answers

Best Answer

When I was a young cook, I tried cooking navy beans in my pressure cooker. The safety valve blew and I had beans all over my kitchen.

Soak your beans over night. They will swell twice their size or more. If the ham hocks are salty, you will probably want to soak them also and pour that water off. After soaking, cover the beans and ham hocks with water, add salt if needed and cook slowly. A crock pot also works really well for cooking beans.