Using Mini Flake Wood Shavings

I purchase a product called Dust or Mini Flake made from wood shavings but very fine. I use it for my cats' litter box. I have several cats because I rescued them so I change the box every morning.

The "dust" in my area is purchased at a garden supply store and costs under $7. It lasts 30 days because I have more than one cat and change it so often. It is economical, but it is also much better for the environment then other litters. It can be used in compost.

I have a lasagna vegetable garden and used it last year with newspaper to start the process. It absorbs moisture and helps breakdown the paper. The brand I am using now is called American Choice Mini Flake. Put the box in an area that is easily swept because it will track a little on paws. I purchased mine in NJ from Rosedale Mills.

By Barbara W.

Hello,
Your idea is very economical. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and our Dr's always advised against using any wood products as litter. This type of litter can cause an upper resp. infection in some cats and also, when cats lick/clean their paws they are licking the wood products and this can cause a blockage of the airway or bowel over time. as it is a foreign body.

🎂
🎃
🌻