Using Peppercorns

Rather than buying ground pepper, you can also buy peppercorns. They are available in white, pink, green, and the well known black. Peppercorns are of course used in cooking, but they are also known for their medicinal properties. This is a guide about using peppercorns.

If you like to use freshly ground pepper, try this tip. Roast the peppercorns in a 325 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes, or pan roast on top of the stove for about 5 minutes. When they have cooled, refrigerate.

This will intensify the flavor of the peppers. I buy a large container of mixed peppercorns and roast the entire amount. I return the peppercorns to the original container, and keep refrigerated until the pepper mills are ready to be refilled.

By Mkymlp from PA

This is a good idea. I do this with all of my spices, but use a frying pan on top of the stove. I put any and all spices in my warm frying pan and carefully watch it because they can burn easily. You'll smell the spices intensify.
But do yourself a favor and don't put your nose over the pan like I did. I scorched my nose hairs, I swear!

Nuts can also be roasted in the oven or frying pan to intensify the flavor. You can use less nuts in a recipe this way too, for calorie cutting or frugalness.