Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

Category Wallpaper
Glaze can be applied over wallpaper to give it an aged look. This is a guide about using wall glaze on wallpaper.

I previously posted a request, for applying glazing over wallpaper, to give the paper a vintage appearance. The answers weren't what I was looking for because I still want the pattern of the wallpaper to show through the glaze. I want to "antique" the paper. The paper is in a bathroom and is vinyl.

Sharon from Southern, IL

Answers

By Learning to be Creative (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I actually used wall glaze over my wallpaper to give it the "antique" look. I went to Lowe's and got the already tinted umber glaze. I used a rag with the glaze on it and smeared it all over the wallpaper. But don't rub too hard or the wallpaper color will start to come off. It turned out GREAT! The already tinted glaze gave it the look I was going for.

Has anyone ever used "wall glazing" over vinyl wallpaper?. I detest my bathroom wallpaper! I would like to glaze over it, giving it a "vintage or aged" appearance.

Sharon from Southern IL

Answers:

Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

I have. I did texture, paint, and glaze over wallpaper (couple layers deep). The trick is using an oil based primer, putting on your joint compound and then painting and glazing. When I glazed I used a wet rag and swirled it on the wall and then took a clean wet rag and removed glaze until I was happy. It looks good, you would never know there was wallpaper under it. (06/05/2007)

By Sherri

Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

Did you use the joint compound to cover the seams in wallpaper? Wasn't sure if that was what I needed to use. Thanks (06/05/2007)

By Annette

Using Wall Glaze on Wallpaper

I didn't cover the seams. That oil primer is pretty thick once it is on the wallpaper and once you do the texture (the joint compound) it doesn't show. I did a "trowel" look w/my texture. I am sure you can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy the eggshell texture in a bucket and put that over the primer also if you didn't want to go to all the work of texturing yourself. (06/05/2007)

By Sherri