Using a Can to Fill Zipper Bags

Doing my 'cook for a day and eat for a month', I knew I was going to have some goopy messes. So today, I did something about it.

I estimate I can put at least 50% more in the shoe boxes I have my food in, and that is a great way to save money on food and electricity. I also save time and that is just about as important.

N-JOY!

1. Taking the top and bottom off a can, I peeled off the label and washed it. Using zipper bags and a marker, I labeled the bags for ease in finding what I want. Then, I inserted it into the bag, but not all the way.
  2. I began scooping the meal into the bag with no mess on the zipper part, or the counter.
  3. When it was full enough to flatten, I zipped 2/3 of the top. It was laid down and "flattened" so the food pushes out the air.
  4. Not letting any food get into the zipper part, I then pushed around the food so it fills almost the whole bag. Once sealed, it can be put in the freezer, frozen, and stored flat.

I love this idea! I cook a few days and freeze in small portions for me but I have an issue keeping the "zipper" clean. My can opener removes the entire lid without leaving sharp edges, thus less skin cuts. Plus your way could use various sized cans depending on the size of the bag and meal portion.
Thank you!

You are so welcome. I know there are things you can buy to do this with but that wouldn't be "thrifty" or "fun"!!

Food and Recipes Freezing AdviceJanuary 30, 2019
🎂
🌻
🎃