Using a Digital Converter Box?

I have two small digital TVs connected to an external antenna. Neither works very well alone (3 or 4 channels). However, when the signal is passed through a converter box reception is remarkably better 35 to 40 channels). Does that make sense? Does it mean that converter boxes are better quality? Are there small (12 to 15 inch) TVs that work as well as converters? I would gladly pay 2 or 3 times as much for a really good small TV, but can not find one.

The answer to your question is no. It doesn't mean they are better quality. It means that most channels today on the TV are for HD TV sets and your TV set is old and doesn't have this feature. Therefore, the converter box converts the signal from HD TV to a standard analog signal that your TV can understand and use. If you had a new HD TV you wouldn't need the converter box to watch the channels.

Both of the tv's in question are digital; purchased 2 and 4 years ago. When the tv does the scan it finds 3 or 4 digital channels for which the reception is poor to fair.

The converter scan finds at least 40 channels, most of which play well including those that were poor to fair with only the tv.

I have a converter box for my 1987 TV. Once I got cable TV I no longer needed it. The box converts the analog signals.

Consumer Advice General AdviceJanuary 2, 2018
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-a-Digital-Converter-Box-1.html