Antique FurnitureFurniture

Value of Antique Parlor Table

My grandparents are trying to sell this table, but are not sure how much it's worth. They don't know much about it other than it's really old. Location is in Cincinnati, OH.

You need to know who made the table. Turn it over to see markings.

They said they looked and couldnt find any, but Ill look next time Im over there.

It is a lovely piece. Check for markings on the underside or the bottoms of the feet even. If there aren't any, you may want to take it to a reputable antiques dealer and get their feedback on it.

You have lots of dealers in your town...per my cuz, who shared this link with me to share with you:

www.yellowpages.com/.../antique-buyers

You don't have to take the piece to them at first...but have high quality, well lit pictures on your phone or tablet...showing all angles.

For the initial talk, ask about insuring value, not selling value, so you can learn more about the piece and do more research. Once you have that in your hand, you can work on value of your piece by looking at that or other shops or on eBay or other auction sites (there are lots if you google Victorian furniture auctions).

Remember value and profit are two different things...you may value something at $100 to use a round number, but selling it you may net less as if you sell online (which is a bear to sell furniture because you can't ship it easily) you pay fees. If you sell it a dealer, you pay fees or a commission. If you sell at a flea or tag sale you pay entrance fee or ad fee...so you may net 1/2 the value when all is said and done.

Let me know what you find and I may be able to help further.

Thanks!

Thank you for the info. I will look at it more next time Im over there.