Value of Ceramic Vases?

Category Miscellaneous
Determining the value of your ceramic vases can be an internet adventure. First you will need to try to identify the maker, age, etc. Then with that information you can research sites for their possible value.

We found this vase. I can't find anything like it. It's definitely majolica like and has a raised seal at the bottom. Any advice or knowledge would help.

Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Majolica is one of those things that only a true expert can tell you.

I doubt anyone on this site has that expertise, but I could be wrong. I have been a re-seller for many years and I still defer review of this type of item to a pro.

Why? Because first a true real, original Majolica is from the 15th (or 16th) century and those are in museums so I am doubting I would ever (in my life time) see one outside of a museum.

Second, many countries have their version of this style of glassware and unless you bought it new and know the history, it is so challenging to figure out what you have--either in maker or year.

Third, I have seen "Majolica" like pieces in the dollar store because everyone loves this lovely style and offers their own take on it.

That said there are marks that are true, marks that are misleading and marks that are downright fraudulent. They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery and in glassware the makers take to heart!

Here is a wiki and a nice article.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Majolica

janvierroad.wordpress.com/.../

My best guidance is to take it to a reputable dealer who specializes in glassware and get their take on what you have and the value in your town.

Please post back with what you learn!! It is a lovely piece and I would love to learn more! Thanks for sharing!!!

Best Answer

Actually Majolica is described as a 'type/style of pottery' and has been made in several countries;
England, France, Portugal, Germany and of course China.
It is usually said that China has made most of the reproductions seen today.

In all research that I've done in the past, I have never seen a 'raised' mark like this on Majolica (but I'm only an interested researcher and certainly know very little about Majolica). It appears the true Majolica will have indented markings or no markings at all.

Hope you find out about your vase.

So many interesting articles and pictures!

www.realorrepro.com/.../Majolica-Reproductions

I bought this trough vase, but would like to know the maker. I can't find it on the internet.

Answers

Best Answer

This looks very much like a cermic mold that people did back in the 80s or so. They use to offer cerminic classes and people could pour their own molds or buy a mold that was already poured to paint and fire for their home.

I use to take my grandma to her class and saw a lot of these molds just like this in the class. The number on the bottom of the item is the mold number. People could use their own liquid clay and pour the mold or the class would do it for them.

Best Answer

The T-133 is the style of marks that some mold makers used but most of the popular mold companies also had their name with a number. The T may stand for the name but I've not found anything showing this.

Looks like pretty elaborate design that I've never seen on handmade pottery - and - it looks like it may have a gold rim? If so, that would be very unusual for a handmade piece.

You will probably never find an exact match but you might ask your question on some of the vintage pottery forums.
You will need sever pictures - front - bottom - top/inside and measurements.

www.20thcenturyforum.com/

eBay member:
community.ebay.com/.../275

www.facebook.com/.../

Hope you can find the ID - let us know.

I haven't been able to find much information on either of these vases. Can anyone tell if they have any value what so ever?

Answers

Best Answer

I found your exact vase listed on Esty for $9.99. The resale value of these vases is extremely low and not a lot of people are interested in buying them. There are several other pieces by the same maker on Esty that are listed for under $40.

Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousMay 27, 2020
📓
🐛
🌻
😷
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Value-of-Ceramic-Vases-1.html