MiscellaneousCollectibles

Value of English Staffordshire Serving Pieces

I have several pieces, platters mostly, that are clearly marked "English Staffordshire - Blue Nordic", Genuine Hand Engraving, J & G Meakin, England. Just wondering if these pieces are common or worth selling.

Here is one asking almost $50. m.ebay.com/.../312135120707?hash=item48acb3f743...

I love these pieces but sadly, they are not getting much at least when I have tried selling them...under $10 for the platters.

Rare pieces like teapots (in mint condition) may garner more. I checked eBay and the only sold one platter sold...it was started in the $12 range and the seller accepted best offer which could mean any amount BELOW that. Most are unsold.

That said, have you tried Replacements.com. I have had good luck selling other pieces there. They buy unusual pieces but they have to be in pristine condition.

If the pieces are at all damaged you may want to consider selling them for mosaics...meaning break them and list them online as shards. If you go to eBay and type in mosaic + china + tiles you can see that lots (large amounts) sell pretty well.

I plan do smash up a bunch of my broken pieces. I have some of my grandmother's china that got broken years ago that I can't bear to part with that I am going to smash and sell this summer. The trick is to make the pieces big enough to keep the patterns intact.

My sister in law took shards of my husband's family china and her friend made necklaces for all of the girls in the family...that is a cool way to deal with unsellable pieces if you (or a friend) are crafty.