Value of an Antique Buffet?

My mom bought this piece 30 +yrs ago out in Denver Colorado from a wealthy Indian family that was moving back home, they had very expensive antiques and furniture.

My mom thinks it's Duncan Phyfe, but I'm not sure. She said when she first saw it, it looked more old and rugged, but the man said if she would give him $250, he would make it look better and when she went back the next day it looked like a new shiny piece. I am not sure what he did, but I'd say he put polyurethane on it.

The only markings I can find on it is the number 18 stamed on the top of each door, but they aren't the same, it's like they had a 1 stamp and an 8 stamp. It's not ink, it's like engraved.

While looking for markings, I looked on the bottom and it looks like some children was under there scribbling and writing their names, it was done in chalk and some is unreadable but I could make out the names archie, forrest, and roy spencer, I also saw the year 1928, 1933, and 1941, not sure if it was birth years or when they were writing on it. When I googled their names and i found their 1940 census, how cool is that.

Any information on this piece would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

October 31, 20190 found this helpful

Normally furniture manufactures will mark their items with some engraving or even a paper sticker on the item that is glued to the bottom of the piece or even in a drawer. I believe the number inside the drawer that is marked 18 is a part number that was used in the factory so that all the sliders for this dresser would match and people knew which ones to use.


If there are no other marking on this than the ones you have found it is a good idea to talk to an antique dealer now. They will be able to help you out better than we can. I know there are a lot of people who do not buy antiques these days but there are still some who are collectors.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
October 31, 20190 found this helpful

Quality furniture has a makers mark engraved on it. If in doubt, see a dealer.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Antique FurnitureOctober 31, 2019
Back to School Ideas!
Pest Control
Summer Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-07-18 21:38:59 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.