WallsHome Decor

Vintage Mixed Media Framed Roses

I am in the process of adding a few new elements to my home décor. The challenge is to try and upcycle old items, without breaking the bank in the process.

I found an old frame stuffed in a cupboard. The frame belonged to my late grandmother. The frame is about 50 years old, and was not in a good condition.

For this project, I had to buy a few things from a local craft shop. I spent ZAR70 on this project, which is equal to about $6.

In the end, my grandmother's old frame got a new look. It gave me the perfect excuse to intertwine family memories with my current décor.

Total Time: weekend project, drying time included

Yield: one mixed media artwork

1. Remove the frame's backing board and glass panel. Note: You will not use the glass panel again.
  2. Sand down the wooden frame to remove any old varnish. Also sand down both sides of the backing board to give it a fresh look.
  3. Temporarily place the backing board at the back of the frame again, and use the pencil to lightly mark where the frame will fit around the backing board. Remove the backing board again.
  4. Use the woodworking glue to draw a criss-cross pattern along the front of the backing board. Do not add glue to the areas that will be behind the frame. Allow the glue to dry overnight. Once dry, you would have added a lovely textured pattern to the backing board.
  5. Add some glue around the inside of the frame and glue the backing board in place. Use the thick paintbrush to add a thick layer of broken white acrylic paint to the front of the backing board, and a thin uneven wash to the frame itself. Allow to dry thoroughly.
  6. Spray some of the ink mist into the plastic bowl and use the thin paintbrush to apply an uneven layer of ink mist to the frame. Allow to dry thoroughly. Then, brush some Rolkem gold dusting powder over some areas of the frame. Apply one coat of Hard as Nails varnish to the frame and backing board. Allow to dry thoroughly.
  7. Using the craft glue, glue the one end of the cream ribbon to the back of the twig heart. Twist the ribbon around the heart, cut off any remaining ribbon and glue the second end also in place at the back of the heart.
  8. Tear the cork sheet into a smaller, uneven square. Hot glue the piece of torn cork sheet, the ribbon-covered twig heart, the laser cut out embellishment, the paper leaves, the fabric leaves, the roses and the mirror word to the backing board.
  9. Using strong bonding glue, glue the portrait hook in position on the back of the frame. Allow to dry thoroughly before hanging it on the wall.
  10. Ad