Warning: No String Toys for Birds

I had put on here a long time ago how my parakeet Perry loved to unravel string in his cage for entertainment. He really did love to do this. Just the other night, he became entangled in one of the strings that he often played with even though his claws were really not overly long.

I finally got him untangled, but he had hit his head on the cage by the time I got him undone from the string. He ended up passing away that night. He would not have died if he had not had that string toy in his cage.

I want everyone to know, don't buy the string toys if they can unravel, or even if they cannot unravel, because they like them so much they won't leave them alone and they could, like my baby, get entangled in the string toy.

Blessings, and RIP Perry. We love you. You brightened our lives so much! Run free and fly free at the Rainbow Bridge!

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

Perry was a beautiful little bird. My condolences to you in your loss.

Thanks for the warning. I totally agree. I found one of my cockatiels hanging by the neck - as he'd flown into a rope toy. It was just sheer luck that I found him in time. He lived but I've removed all hanging toys. Also the birds chew on the string which can cause blockages leading to major digestive problems.

Sorry to read of your loss.

I am so sorry Robyn. These toys are so common. I hope everybody takes your advice. Hugs.

So sad. I'm sorry for you. I too had a similar problem. I found a cockatiel hanging from his neck thanks to a string toy. He survived but only by share luck as I came home early from work.

Pets BirdsJuly 25, 2012
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Warning-No-String-Toys-for-Birds.html