Watching Less Television

Watching less TV can have a lot of benefits. Cancelling your subscriptions can save you both money and time. You can rediscover movies that you already own on DVD. You can stream TV shows and movies with services such as Netflix. You can also save a lot of time by just watching less TV in general.

A few months ago, our cable TV stopped working. We had to wait a few weeks for an appointment, as we work full-time and weekend appointments book quickly. My husband loves TV, and was pretty upset. I didn't care too much, since I hardly watch TV, or so I thought.

During the weeks we had no TV, I became acutely aware of what a thief the TV was. It was a thief of time. I would turn it on to keep me company as I was preparing meals and watched longer than I intended to. Practically every show, even the news, had some kind of "cliff-hanger" before commercials. It was also a thief of time because I was working more slowly than if I weren't watching TV, or were just listening to music. It made me want to watch more TV, with advertisements for forthcoming shows.

It was a thief of money. There were advertisements for food, local events, services, clothing, and anything else I could think of. Many of the products advertised were unknown to me until the commercial aired.

These commercials wanted to make me feel like a "have-not" if I didn't acquire them. Many commercials advertised sale prices, and limited time or supplies, so I had to act fast if I wanted that great deal.

It was a thief of intelligence. During the weeks I had no TV, I was forced to read more and indulge in hobbies that I thought I had no time for. I had the perfect excuse before; I work full-time. Those little snips of TV cost me an hour a day or more!

It was a thief of health. Without the TV, I had more time to exercise. My appetite was less because I wasn't bombarded with endless ads for food. I got to sleep at a reasonable hour. There is scientific proof that watching a TV or computer screen interferes with sleep.

When the cable was finally fixed, I was a different person. I now watch the traffic and weather in the morning and the news at night.

Frugal people guard their resources. Time is precious. Don't waste it!

More Solutions

I stopped watching broadcast and cable television about a year ago, and it has been an interesting experience. I paid for both Internet access and television over cable and my bill has been cut in half since I cancelled the television side.

unplugged TV

Entertainment TelevisionSeptember 10, 2019
😷
📓
🎃
🎂
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Watching-Less-Television.html