Watering Houseplants

Category House Plants
Watering Houseplants
Find the best way to give your indoor plants the right amount of water they need. This guide is about watering houseplants.

Take advantage of snow to water houseplants! We have had an overabundance of snow this year. It dawned on me one evening that just outside my front door lay a wealth of totally free nutrients for my plants!

I went just outside the door with my coffee pot and a jumbo drink cup and scooped them both full of powdery snow! Then, I sat the coffee pot onto the burner plate of the coffee maker so it could melt and also warm a little bit before watering my plants with it, so they wouldn't chill or shock!

While there is still plenty of snow on the ground, I should do this enough times to fill a couple clean empty milk jugs for more free nutrient rich water later!

By Melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Take advantage of a light rain and set your houseplants outside. Just like giving them plant food and you don't have to pay for it. Helps keep the plants clean, too!

By Linda

As much as I love my houseplants, I find it a messy chore to water the ones in high places. I've purchased several watering cans to minimize drips, but they left much to be desired - usually a splash from the well of the can. The next time you purchase a bottled water get the kind with the squirt type top (not just a screw top). Once done with your refreshment save the bottle! The top makes it perfect to direct the flow of water where you want it to go, between leaves and no splash! These will last a very long time!

By tahloolabelle from Ventura, CA

It's easy to remember to water your houseplants if you use the remainder of your drinking water on them. And the water that's been standing around has less chlorine and better for them, too.

This may have already been tried. My house plants and some of my outside planters are hard to water without spilling water everywhere when getting to the center of the plants. I have been rinsing out my dish soap bottles really well and using them, but they are small. So I took the lid off and it fits on a liter pop bottle. It makes it so easy to get to everything.

By Terri from Gallatin, MO

These replicas of paper cups are popping up all over the place. I got mine at the Dollar Tree. Besides being great for the car, I found another use for them.

I have some smaller plants on higher shelves in my window. Trying to water them with a regular glass can be tricky. When I use this little wonder, I control the flow and nothing runs back down my arm. Win Win!

They are also nice for sugar shakers, putting a little mocha in your coffee, and I am sure a lot more wonderful ideas. Hope this helps.

By Sandi from Salem, OR

We have quite a few houseplants scattered throughout our home. To streamline things for our house sitter during our absences, I now place the plants in our bathtub.

If you drop an ice cube on the floor, don't just toss it into the sink. Place it in a potted plant or your pet's water dish instead. Use the same technique for any leftover cubes in mealtime water glasses.

Use coffee filters in the bottom of flower pots to keep soil from running out when watered. I use several in mine since they do decompose over time, but by then the roots should be holding in most of the dirt or its time for you to replant anyway.

You can love your plants to death. Over watering can do them great harm, almost a sure death for them.

When watering plants, how do I keep from overwatering them?

By Andrew

I water once a week, every Saturday no matter what the plant is. Wednesday, I check them all to see if there drooping and need more, otherwise wait until Saturday again. Get on a schedule of doing it the same time every week and adjust when necessary for certain plants. Hope that helps.

If I water my plants with crab water (crab shells soaked in filtered water) will it make my house smell for a long time? Do I need to boil the shells in the water or just soak them at room temperature?

By ilovesophie from Billings, MT

If you don't have time to water your houseplant, take a plastic soda bottle, fill it with water and insert the spout in the earth of your plant, the bottle will empty as the plant needs water. It is especially good if you are going on holiday or have a busy schedule. I swear by this method.

By Anita from Drummondville, Quebec