Weird Looking Clouds

Photo Description
The temperature was about 40 degrees and we had a snow shower that lasted about 30 minutes. No rain or snow was in the forecast. Afterwards, these weird looking clouds appeared in the East as the snow showers moved in that direction. I had never before seen clouds that looked like this.

Photo Location
North Carolina

Hi littergitter! I enjoy your posts! I am a sky watcher and love to take photos of clouds, sunsets, rainbows etc. and have a Pinterest board full of them. What you saw are called "mammatus" clouds. To quote one of my Pins, "Because they are said to resemble the udders of an animal, this unique cloud formation is called mammatus clouds, or mammary clouds. These odd-looking clouds are formed by cold air that drops down to form pouches in the convection of warm air." The snow shower provided the cold air that caused the formation you saw! Isn't nature grand? :)

Reply Like this photo? 1

Thank you. I have never heard that and probably would not have learned about it if you had not told me.

Very interesting. I love looking at cloud formations.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photos SceneryJanuary 19, 2021
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Weird-Looking-Clouds.html