What foods are poisonous to dogs?
Vanet from Saugerties, NY
Chocolate comes to mind first. Different breeds are more sensitive to different types of food. Best to check with your vet. (08/23/2006)
I looked this up and found a site that lists an amazing amount of items. Some I was shocked to find out about. Here is the site http://www.co.clackamas.or.us/dc/health/poisons.htm (08/23/2006)
This article lists some of the main ones:
Dangerous Foods for Dogs
By Catherine Forman
The ASPCA has a Poison Control Center:
Animal Poison Control Center
A Poison Safe Home -Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pet
- Alcoholic beverages
- Chocolate (all forms)
- Coffee (all forms)
- Fatty foods
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Onions, onion powder
- Raisins and grapes
- Yeast dough
- Products sweetened with xylitol
Warm Weather Hazards
- Animal toxins - toads, insects, spiders, snakes and scorpions
You can give a dog buffered, plain aspirin. Check with your vet to find out if 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or a whole aspirin is appropriate for your dogs' weight.
By Ruth Counter
I was told by my vet to give dogs a small solution of white vinegar (1-2 tablespoons every hour?) to induce vomiting. (08/23/2006)
Believe it or not, my terrier mix Lady used to have a seizure every time I called a lawyer. I would just sit with her for about 20 minutes and then she'd get up and be fine again. She's about 16 now and doing ok. (08/25/2006)
I have a Bernese Mountain Dog and he somehow managed to get out of his cage and he got into a Halloween tea light candle of mine
Have any idea?
Editor's Note: Because tealights are pretty small and he is a large dog, other than the aluminum cup, the wax part probably wouldn't hurt him. It would be a good idea to call the vet, just to be sure. (10/25/2006)
I had to leave the room quickly to help my son. while I was gone, my WGS X Husky (we think) snatched a package of Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips and had half the bag on the floor. He normally doesn't enter the kitchen or touch food without a signal. He would do it to night. He obviously had eaten some of them, but it's impossible to tell how many because the bag wasn't full to start with. He weights approx 72-75 lbs. I know chocolate is toxic to dogs but what about the other parts of the candy? (07/26/2008)
By zeke's mom
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!