Wolf Mix Photos

Category Dogs
Dogs closest relative is the wolf and they can breed together for some interesting hybrids. This page contains wolf mix photos.

Last week my kids went to the pound with a family friend. Our daughters Taylor and Brooke have been bugging us about this dog (Cooper) from the shelter. They have been asking us to adopt him.

He is 1 year old and he is a wolf-hybrid. From what I know a wolf-hybrid is an offspring of a domestic dog and a wolf. He looks like a wolf and i'm sure he acts like one also. I'm not sure if that's safe.

I mean, it's a wolf! I have 2 dogs already and they're pretty small so I don't know how that would work out. Does anyone know about the behavior of wolf hybrids and if they are a threat in any way to people or my dogs?

Thanks with love,
From Greg & Aly

Answers

When in doubt, DON'T. Especially a wolf mix. If you want a big dog get a golden retriever or a lab retriever, or a collie. These are great with kids!

I would NOT adopt that pet.
1. can be dangerous
2. is only half domestic bred

3. how vicious can the other half become?
4. as it gets older, it may become mean
------------
My aunt had a collie that was mean - and that dog was bad enoough. Can you imagine a part wolf with an attitude problem?
Someone is going to say that the wolf part of its heredity makes it shy, but I think the wolf part of its heredity makes it want to attack a lesser being (aka young child) to establish dominance.
We were at a petting zoo and the baby bull went after by then 3 year old - because he was the smallest one in the group. Knowing that animals can distinguish between big and small adversaries, how safe are your children and their friends? And the other pets? How's your insurance? Got a $1,000,000 umbrella insurance policy?

This is a P.S. My sil adopted a part dog/ part coyote. Big mistake. I'm not going into any details.

ditto.
your small dogs are SMALL and look SMALL to another dog. this is a wolf mix. stay away i say.

I have read many times that these dogs are unpredictable. Might be totally tame and nice for a while but can never be trusted.

Listen to your gut. Don't give in.

Check out http://www.wolf  /guidelines.html

A few quotes from that page:

-- Wolves and high-content wolf hybrids should never be regarded as pets.

-- Children below the age or size of a typical 14 year old, including the owner's, are always potentially in danger.

-- Wolf-dog hybrids should, for safety reasons, essentially be kept like wolves. While low percentage wolf-dog hybrids may be unlike pure wolves in many respects, and many can and are kept like pure dogs, they all retain, *as do many dogs*, the motivation for predatory behavior. This means that a person, especially a child who tripped and fell, or who is moaning, crying, or screaming, may be considered wounded prey and attacked. Grave injuries, even death, are all too frequent in such cases.

-- The animals should be fed a proper meat diet, including bones, skin, and/or fur.

-- Socialized wolves or wolf-dog hybrids may also challenge the owner or others for dominance. This, too, can result in serious injury to the persons involved. Tame wolves or wolf-dog hybrids may also defend their food against people, especially children. A mere defensive bite can result in serious injuries, even though the animal "meant" no harm.

In summary, while wolf-dog hybrids seem like really neat animals, they are NOT suitable as pets. There are so many other wonderful, gentle dogs at the pound that are looking for a good home, why would you deliberately subject your family to these types of risks and headaches?

I don't think a hybrid is a good idea if there are children or other pets in the household.

I also wonder why this poor creature (humans are at fault for breeding them) is at the pound in the first place.

There has been a place here locally that has wolf hybrids that has been in the news at least twice. Their animals are kept in a penned/fenced area but have gotten out and have harmed or killed pets in that neighborhood.

Wild animals belong in the wild! And, we should stop encroaching on their territories when we build more houses and more stores and yet more restaurants! Okay, I'll get off of my soapbox now!

I can't believe a shelter would even have a wolf hybrid! I used to have a dog/coyote mix, and she was wonderful, but I really advise against any of these hybrids, especially with young children. We cannot even assume our pet dogs won't bite or attack, let alone something that's half wild.

TerryfromChilliOH

I had a Hybrid wolf dog once , NEVER AGAIN ! I / we could not train her , she ate a whole couch right down to the springs, the woodwork on the door frames, you name it she ate it, She was a beautiful dog, ( puppy ) I gave her away 3 times and they always brought her back cause she did something wrong . She was gentle but she was just a baby too at the time, Finally found her a home , she is a junk yard dog , guarding a junk yard. So I was told ? She was 6 months old by the time I found her a good home, My other dogs hated her big time, always trying to beat her up. NOT A GOOD IDEA GETTING A HALF/BREED WOLF DOG, But a friend of ours had one, and she was excellent, loved everyone.

I once owned one, it was honestly the best pet I ever owned. Biggest lap dog ever. Infact the government no longer used hybrid as a way of calling them. Since DNA testing has evolved they have found they are the same as captive dogs, they now call them wolfdogs and that is why they are willing to let you adopt it. Just like ANY big dog, proper breeding is esential to them. Raised well they are good, I would not consider this animal if it was abused though

I have a wolf hybrid and she is great but I got her when she was 2 monthes old. I would not advise getting a hybrid that is older. They do take a lot of work and time. also she does not really like little dogs and that could be a problem for you and dangrous around the kids if the hybrid was to go after the small dogs.

i have owned 3 wolf hybrids and all of my children were little with all of them. they are the most loyal animal and will except you and your family as their pack and will go out of there way to protect you. i just lost my wolf-hybrid of 10 years and she will be very sadly missed. i wouldn't hesitate to get another one except the state i live in has banned them because of the idiot people that think they are mean! the picture is of my male and female playing in the snow. he died at the age of 7 (Lakota-male black/tan) and she was 10 (Miatuck-female black). i hope i was of help to you and if you have any further questions feel free to contact me at wolflover 0204@yahoo.com.(remove space between r and 0)

We had a collie/wolf. She was a big baby for the most part. She bit one child because he pulled her tail (hard) while she was eating and she snaped at me on a separate occassion. I imediately dominated her and I became the top bitch in this house from that point on. We had a few minor behavior problems with her. She died right after we became Dog Whisperer fans. His techniques were really working. I wonder what he would say about a hybrid.

I have a wolfdog and, like what has been said previously, not a good idea to bring small dogs around her. Not a good idea to bring people she doesn't trust around her either. I love her to death and she's a great dog, but she's very independent and will pretty much do as she pleases. She mostly will just listen to me or my dad if we tell her to "sit" or "lay", but for the most part, training her was pretty difficult.

Unless you have gobs of time to devote to training and getting in good with the animal, I'd strongly advise to think twice about owning one.

My fiance and I have a wolf hybrid. He is 1 1/2 years old. Our dog is very dominate over his territory and yes is a very different from a domestic dog, however he is very smart! My advise is not to get a wolf hybrid from the pound. Why? Because you really don't know what the dog has been through or what his mentally state to be around you and your kids. If you had gotten him/her it was a puppy that's a different story.

I have a hybrid and he is the nicest dog I have ever seen in my entire life. He gets along with any other dogs, puppies, cats, anything, he is literally a big sweet fluffy dog. I wouldn't let the name "wolf" hybrid scare you because I wouldn't trade him for anything else.

My aunt and uncle had a French Poodle. That darn dog would lay quiet sleeping all evening while you were visiting however when we went to leave and would kiss my uncle goodbye Bowzer would go crazy and jump for your face to attack you. And it was just a poodle.
My friend and wife have a hybrid husky from when he was a puppy. He is a beautiful dog but they don't have children. He is very loving to everyone a real sweetheart.
In your case though with small dogs and children I don't think it would work with a dog that is already a year old and you do not know its background. The risk is to great with your family involved.

I have two wolf hybrids, one is 3 and the other is 6 months. They are the best and they love my two nieces. They are good dogs to have, and I hope it works.

Can a Wolf hybrid be trained to stay in the house?

By wolflover17 from Folsom, NJ

Answers

It isn't as easy as a yes or no answer; a lot depends on how old the dog is, its genetics ( what percentage wolf? what percentage dog?) how much room and time you have for the dog and for its training--and a host of other things.

Try using this as a stepping-off point:

http://www.nal.  5n4/5n4wille.htm

It gives some general info and a lot of links to specific information on them.

Just as with any other type of dog, it really pays to do a lot of reading and research into temperament and behavior common to the breed before bringing one home so you can decide beforehand whether it's going to work for you ( and the dog) or not.

I got one as a pup and he's been a great dog. The mother was a wolf... the father must have been a husky mix. lol The picture is of Buddy and we've had him for over 10 years now.

We did have another one a long time ago and he liked to attack the smaller dog. We had to give him back to the pound. Wasn't worth it to us.

So I guess it depends on the temperament of the wolf/dog...?

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

This is Hutch, a Siberian Husky and Wolf mix. He's not my dog, but he thinks he is. He's 6 years old and, until this past March, lived chained to a big tree across the street in a neighbor's back yard. His real owners don't believe in inside dogs. He has a doghouse, water, and food. That's what the law says he should have, and that's all he had.

I'm a dog lover and have 3 dogs of my own. Hutch would spend his days watching me interact with my dogs. He had very limited human contact, no obedience training at all, and had not been socialized. His owner noticed that Hutch was constantly watching me, and said I could come over and pet him whenever I wanted.

To make a very long story short, the owner, for some reason or another, has been in prison since September. What little attention Hutch ever got was now gone. So I started wandering over there every day to get to know him and would bring him dog cookies. My first problem was he always jumped and was constantly knocking me down. I'm learning how to walk again myself after coming down with Transverse Myelitis, so my balance isn't the best to start with. I taught Hutch the only way I would pet him was if he faced away from me, so I could pet him. Within a couple of weeks, I started brushing him, too.

I talked the owner's father into getting the yard fenced. For the first time in his life, Hutch was unchained and able to run free. My first few times in the backyard with him running free was pretty rough. I left a spray bottle of water on the gate. Anytime I entered the yard, if he jumped on me I gave him a squirt.

For a few weeks, all I did was give him cookies, brushed him, and just basically earned his trust. I had serious doubts about my own sanity whether I should even attempt to leash train him or not. Imagine a 70 pound Mexican jumping bean on steroids; that's a really good way for me to describe Hutch. But he had such a sad life, that one way or another I knew I was going to teach him to walk on a leash.

The year before, I lost my beloved Parker who was a 135 pound Black Lab and Rott mix at almost 11 years of age. I still had all the stuff that I had trained him with. I decided to teach Hutch to walk on a Gentle Leader, which is sort of like a head harness for a horse. It will stop any dog from pulling it's owner. It took me 45 minutes the very first time to put it on Hutch.

Ready or not, I opened the gate and out we went. Hutch acted like I was killing him, he did the death roll, up and down the street. I was waiting for one of my neighbors to call the police about animal abuse. Neighbors drove by very slowly and asked if I needed help controlling him. I knew my first walk with him would be rough but not in my wildest dreams did I ever expect this. On a good note, all his craziness actually tired him out. For about 5 minutes, we had a very enjoyable walk.

By the time we got back, I decided since he was so tired, I might as well ruin the rest of his day and promptly gave him his first bath. For a dog who has never had a bath, he did great and he cleaned up so nicely.

He quickly learned he had to wear the Gentle Leader, if he wanted to go for a walk, and he had to sit still for me to put it on. By our 5th walk I was using a regular leash. He matched my own gait, as I walked with a cane. If he started to get head strong all I had to do was tell him, "easy boy", and he'd slow back down. It was a whole new world to him to get walked every day. No matter how sore I was or how bad my legs hurt, I still walked him. When it rains, he sits by the gate and knows I'll still come.

He's a runner, and if he escapes it's very difficult to catch him, so I started training him on a retractable leash when I walked him. It also gave him a lot more freedom to sniff and do what dogs do. My next project was teaching and enforcing the "come" command. I carry a treat pouch and throughout our walk every 5 minutes, I'll call out, "Hutch come". He learned very quickly that hot dogs were a good thing. He now knows the command, and he knows he has to sit for me to attach the leash and sit for me to remove it when we get back. He has truly come a long, long way since I started working with him.

He wasn't socialized as a puppy, so he does not play well with other dogs. He's jealous of my dogs, and my dogs are jealous of him. Speaking of playing, none of my dogs ever played with any of Parker's old toys, so I gave them all to Hutch, not thinking I would actually have to show this dog how to play. He hadn't a clue. When and if his owner returns home, Hutch is going to be a totally different dog. I write to his owner, send him pictures, and keep him updated on everything I've been doing with his dog.

As I write this, I am covered with poison ivy, because I always give Hutch big hugs, and apparently there must be some poison ivy in his backyard. Last night, I walked him very late in my pajamas, because it had rained all day. So there I am hobbling down the street, near midnight with Hutch on the retractable leash, and he sees a rabbit. All my training went in one ear, out the other, and he yanked me off my feet. I fell down, and he was running top speed to catch the rabbit.

The retractable leash caught up with him within 10 feet and hit him in the butt and scared poor Hutch half to death. He just stood there, terrified to move, and I can't even begin to imagine what he must of thought. I wasn't hurt, and he now has a whole new respect for the retractable leash.

This afternoon I walked him early ,because we were suppose to get a lot of rain later on. As luck would have it, he saw another rabbit. But lucky for me it was still daylight out. I was able to give him a quick correction, and we continued on our walk with no problems.

A few days before, my legs were hurting really bad. I asked my husband to walk over to get Hutch, and bring him to our house. I would give him a short walk, just to keep my promise to myself that he would always be walked. As I sat on my front porch, I was sort of curious if Hutch would listen to my husband or not. For the next 5 minutes, I watched my poor husband, who is a big guy, get jumped on. Hutch who was very obviously happy to see him but did not listen to him at all.

Another neighbor was also watching, and we both covered our mouths so we wouldn't be heard or seen laughing. He finally somehow attached the retractable leash, opened the gate, and Hutch ran to me, dragging my husband behind him. My husband was holding the 25 foot leash and told me he had everything under control.

Not only did Hutch run to me, but once he got there, he sat as pretty as any show dog could, and got his piece of hot dog.

Though I am a dog person and used to show in Obedience, I knew nothing about Siberian Huskies and did some research on them. First off, they love to dig. I sort of knew that because there's two huge holes in Hutch's backyard deep enough to bury a person or two. They're also stubborn and it's like you have to earn the right to be their master. I'm not saying I earned that right, but when he escaped the other day after someone left the gate open he returned to me, when I shouted out for him to come.

Like I said, he's not my dog. I like to think of myself as his care giver, foster mother, or at the very least he views me as someone he respects enough to obey. I always go over there when my dogs are having their own dinner, so I'm not taking any quality time away from them. Also, when we walk now my neighbors stop, say hi, and pet him.

I'm always asked if he's the big white dog that used to be tied to the tree. All the kids in the neighborhood love him, because he's super fluffy and soft. For a dog who has never been around anyone, other than his owner, he is so gentle with kids. I can't save all the dogs in the world, but for at least this one dog, I do make a difference.

I am so glad my husband isn't a computer person. If he read this and knew that I've been bringing Hutch over when it's over 100 degrees, he would truly think I lost my mind. Lucky for us, I can leave my 3 dogs in the den with the TV on, put up a doggy gate, and close the den door. I put up another doggy gate in the kitchen, and close all other doors. Hutch falls asleep under the ceiling fan, and is as good as good can be well, at least for me.

Anyway, thank you for reading this. Other than my neighbors, no one else knows I've been working with Hutch. What I wouldn't give to spend time with the Dog Whisperer who I greatly admire. I wonder what he would think of Hutch.

By CaroleeRose from Madison, AL

A white husky dog with blue eyes.

Comment Like this photo? 21

Stryker was a 7 year old Wolf/Husky. My daughter needed a soul mate and, in AZ, there came this glorious wolf/dog who understood her. He was there before her marriage and children, and she understood him just as well. At some point someone who had owned Stryker had abused him; using him for dog fighting. My daughter knew his pain and tamed him with her love.

He was there when Ricky was born, and there when Nathan was born. As toddlers and little boys, they sat on him, pulled his huge bushy tail, and laid on top of him. He never once bit them.

Stryker knew how to speak, and say "I'm Hungry" in a deep wolf voice. And he could say "Mama". He would say about anything for a piece of cheese. And if you mentioned a walk, you better spell it out, because he wouldn't stop bugging you until you took him for the walk. He loves cheese and to down to the creek and eat mud.

When I met him, he growled at me like a wolf. I spoke gently to him. My daughter said, "Stryker, this is Gramma!" He loved me from that point on. When I was bending over that first day, he got behind me and pinched my butt playfully. He never hurt me or broke skin. After he pinched my butt, he took off racing around in circles and had this huge grin on his face.

My daughter's family moved from Arizona, to Oregon on a tree farm. It was then that he thought he had gone to heaven. He liked to pee on trees on the Christmas Tree farm, and to help keep the coyotes and the deer away. Christmas trees all over the nation had Stryker's scent on them, because he thought it was his solemn duty to mark as many as he could.

This photo was taken on the last month of his life. We drove an hour to the ocean. He was sick. but even then he was a magnificent looking animal. He laid down on the beach, and this horse and rider went by. I was fortunate enough to get this photo. What a memory! I have another photo of him in the car, smiling on the way to the ocean. He was so happy that day! He was magnificent and a wonder family member, a wolf/dog!

By Songbirdcindy from Oregon Coast

Comment Like this photo? 22

Grace is a 2 year old Husky/Malamute/Timberwolf. One of our friends bred his dog and Grace was the puppy I fell in love with. We weren't looking for a dog at all, but I couldn't watch someone else take her.

white husky pup

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 14

Dacoda is a 1 year old Siberian Husky/Timber Wolf mix. I got Dacoda right after Christmas last year. While taking a walk around the block I saw a bunch of white fluff balls running around in a neighbor's backyard. My curiosity got the better of me and I went over to investigate.

White and golden brown dog.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Dakota Star is now 18 months old. She is a Timber Wolf/Husky. We are wolf/wolf dog rescue and she was born in our compound. She can do anything she wants.

wolf husky face

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Dakota Star - Wolf/Husky Photo. Dakota Star is a 1 year old Wolf/Husky. We are a wolf rescue and have a pack of 12. . .

Dakota with head thrown back ready to howl.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Merl..not by choice! He is 9 months old and an American Wolf Husky. I was in the wrong place at the WRONG time!

Black and white mix dog.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Trigger is 6 months old. He is Malamute/Wolf. I rescued him from a dirty and infested home. I got him when he was 3 weeks old

dog laying down

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes