Wolf Mix Photos and Information

Last week my kids went to the pound with a family friend. Our daughters Taylor and Brooke have been bugging us about this dog (Cooper) from the shelter. They have been asking us to adopt him.

He is 1 year old and he is a wolf-hybrid. From what I know a wolf-hybrid is an offspring of a domestic dog and a wolf. He looks like a wolf and i'm sure he acts like one also. I'm not sure if that's safe.

I mean, it's a wolf! I have 2 dogs already and they're pretty small so I don't know how that would work out. Does anyone know about the behavior of wolf hybrids and if they are a threat in any way to people or my dogs?

Thanks with love,
From Greg & Aly

Answers

By lindal (Guest Post)

When in doubt, DON'T. Especially a wolf mix. If you want a big dog get a golden retriever or a lab retriever, or a collie. These are great with kids!

I would NOT adopt that pet.
1. can be dangerous
2. is only half domestic bred
3. how vicious can the other half become?
4. as it gets older, it may become mean
------------
My aunt had a collie that was mean - and that dog was bad enoough. Can you imagine a part wolf with an attitude problem?
Someone is going to say that the wolf part of its heredity makes it shy, but I think the wolf part of its heredity makes it want to attack a lesser being (aka young child) to establish dominance.
We were at a petting zoo and the baby bull went after by then 3 year old - because he was the smallest one in the group. Knowing that animals can distinguish between big and small adversaries, how safe are your children and their friends? And the other pets? How's your insurance? Got a $1,000,000 umbrella insurance policy?

This is a P.S. My sil adopted a part dog/ part coyote. Big mistake. I'm not going into any details.

By sandy (Guest Post)

ditto.
your small dogs are SMALL and look SMALL to another dog. this is a wolf mix. stay away i say.

By Jeneene (Guest Post)

I have read many times that these dogs are unpredictable. Might be totally tame and nice for a while but can never be trusted.

Listen to your gut. Don't give in.

Check out www.wolfpark.org/.../guidelines.html

A few quotes from that page:

-- Wolves and high-content wolf hybrids should never be regarded as pets.

-- Children below the age or size of a typical 14 year old, including the owner's, are always potentially in danger.

-- Wolf-dog hybrids should, for safety reasons, essentially be kept like wolves. While low percentage wolf-dog hybrids may be unlike pure wolves in many respects, and many can and are kept like pure dogs, they all retain, *as do many dogs*, the motivation for predatory behavior. This means that a person, especially a child who tripped and fell, or who is moaning, crying, or screaming, may be considered wounded prey and attacked. Grave injuries, even death, are all too frequent in such cases.

-- The animals should be fed a proper meat diet, including bones, skin, and/or fur.

-- Socialized wolves or wolf-dog hybrids may also challenge the owner or others for dominance. This, too, can result in serious injury to the persons involved. Tame wolves or wolf-dog hybrids may also defend their food against people, especially children. A mere defensive bite can result in serious injuries, even though the animal "meant" no harm.

In summary, while wolf-dog hybrids seem like really neat animals, they are NOT suitable as pets. There are so many other wonderful, gentle dogs at the pound that are looking for a good home, why would you deliberately subject your family to these types of risks and headaches?

I don't think a hybrid is a good idea if there are children or other pets in the household.

I also wonder why this poor creature (humans are at fault for breeding them) is at the pound in the first place.

There has been a place here locally that has wolf hybrids that has been in the news at least twice. Their animals are kept in a penned/fenced area but have gotten out and have harmed or killed pets in that neighborhood.

Wild animals belong in the wild! And, we should stop encroaching on their territories when we build more houses and more stores and yet more restaurants! Okay, I'll get off of my soapbox now!

I can't believe a shelter would even have a wolf hybrid! I used to have a dog/coyote mix, and she was wonderful, but I really advise against any of these hybrids, especially with young children. We cannot even assume our pet dogs won't bite or attack, let alone something that's half wild.

TerryfromChilliOH

By ROSA (Guest Post)

I had a Hybrid wolf dog once , NEVER AGAIN ! I / we could not train her , she ate a whole couch right down to the springs, the woodwork on the door frames, you name it she ate it, She was a beautiful dog, ( puppy ) I gave her away 3 times and they always brought her back cause she did something wrong . She was gentle but she was just a baby too at the time, Finally found her a home , she is a junk yard dog , guarding a junk yard. So I was told ? She was 6 months old by the time I found her a good home, My other dogs hated her big time, always trying to beat her up. NOT A GOOD IDEA GETTING A HALF/BREED WOLF DOG, But a friend of ours had one, and she was excellent, loved everyone.

By Superboy (Guest Post)

I once owned one, it was honestly the best pet I ever owned. Biggest lap dog ever. Infact the government no longer used hybrid as a way of calling them. Since DNA testing has evolved they have found they are the same as captive dogs, they now call them wolfdogs and that is why they are willing to let you adopt it. Just like ANY big dog, proper breeding is esential to them. Raised well they are good, I would not consider this animal if it was abused though

By Rachel (Guest Post)

I have a wolf hybrid and she is great but I got her when she was 2 monthes old. I would not advise getting a hybrid that is older. They do take a lot of work and time. also she does not really like little dogs and that could be a problem for you and dangrous around the kids if the hybrid was to go after the small dogs.