NamesBusiness

Working as an Ordained Minister

How do I start that type of business and what should I name it?

Best Answer

Wishing you all the best on your ventures!! It is always exciting and overwhelming to start a small business but it is very doable!

I will defer to the experts on this site (and Google) to help you with the minister ordination part. That I have no baseline/expertise to make a comment.

Having just gone through the process of starting a small business last year, I can share my best advice with you which is...talk to your local Small Business Development Center and they can give you all the tools you need for developing business plans, budgets, etc. They have experts who can give you info on funding, marketing, planning, etc. The link below will help you find one close to you:

www.sba.gov/.../local-assistance

Most of their programs are free or very low cost. They are amazing and will help keep you on track!! This service is paid for by our tax dollars, so take advantage of it! Don't try to go it alone when you don't have to!

As for naming your company...they may be able to help you with that...but if not, think about what you will be doing...are you only going to perform weddings, funerals, will you be opening your own church?

Once you get your mission and vision together, you can grow your name to reflect what you do.

Keep us posted on your progress!!!

There are online services to become ordained. In any professional business, you are best off using your given name. There should be nothing cutesy about it.

Most of my friends who have done it have accomplished it all online! There are so many options for doing this. Here is an example site:

www.ulc.org/

Good luck!

I'm not sure if you are already affiliated with some faith (IE already an ordained minister/priest? but the path to this life differs

one can go become a Catholic or Anglican priest and other Protestant faiths and spend a good many years in Divinity School and then be assigned to a parish under a deacon or bishop or whatever and there you are, plugged into the system, into the hierarchy, a flock of believers delivered to your doorstep every Sunday or special occasions or whatnot.

or you could go to a rando thing like the Church of the Subgenius and get ordained that way for a nominal fee www.subgenius.com/.../membership.htm
(though as for legality to marry folks and stuff, ulc is the way to go from what I see www.ulc.org/)