Wound on Dog's Paw Won't Heal

My dog has been treated for over a year with medicine to heal a huge wound caused by licking his paw, but it still is raw, bleeding, and swollen. Our vet can't seem to get it to heal. We put a cone on him except when he goes outside to potty and when he eats and drinks, but nothing will heal it. He's 12 yrs old and I don't know what else to do, even our vet is puzzled. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

A wound that doesn't heal is a concern, whether on an animal or human. I would find another vet. It could be a type of skin cancer.

I would get a second opinion from another vet.

Hi There,
My first thought is that of yeast overgrowth, which is a common problem with dogs.

The first item I would look at would be diet. I would switch to Diamond Lamb and Rice dog food, or any other dog food that has no grains in it.

Grains and sugar feed yeast in the intestines. A dog probiotic, which you can buy online or at the pet store, may help to get rid of some of the intestinal yeast. Human's and dogs immune systems are very involved with the gut.

According to Dr. Mercola, disinfecting paws is necessary. Dr. Mercola states I recommend a gallon of water, a cup of hydrogen peroxide, and 1-4 cups of white vinegar as a foot soak solution and you can use this solution as many times a day as necessary to keep your dogs feet clean.

"After you dip your dogs feet in the astringent solution of water/hydrogen peroxide/white vinegar, there is no need to rinse. Just pat the paws dry. Leaving this solution dried on your dogs paws serves as an antifungal and should also reduce licking and digging at the paws.

The article also suggests adding spices such as oregano to the diet. I would sprinkle some oregano onto the dogs food, and I also would use thyme the same way, since they are antifungal.

Here is a link to Dr. Mercolas website, he has a lot of share on just about everything.

https://healthy … -like-crazy.aspx

I wish you and your dog the best!

----Robyn

References

Itchy Smelly Dog? Yeast Infection May be the Problem (2011, May 3). [Website]. Retrieved from: https://healthy … -like-crazy.aspx

Wound will not heal.

Step 1
He should be tested for diabetes.

Step 2
Clean it daily with hydrogen peroxide.

Step 3
Dry it well use a blow dryer on cool setting.

Step 4
Put anti bacterial essential oils on it.

Step 5

Put a wrap or bandage on it whatever will stay on.

Step 6
Do this daily until infection is gone.

Step 7
If it is from diabetes it may not heal just keep it clean.