Wreath Made from a Book

contest winner icon
This lovely little wreath lesson was offered at my local library and used discarded books for the project. Lovely I think and lots of fun to make with a friend/loved one!

Total Time: a weekend project

1. First pull out pages (4 at a time) and stack.
  2. Cut the four pages together into the biggest circle possible on your paper. I suggest doing them all first, then proceeding, but you can divide it up with others if you are doing them with someone or want to break up the project.
  3. Cut your 4 page circle into a spiral shape.
  4. Leave about a quarter sized center in the middle.
  5. Slowly wind the spiral into a circle starting at the outer edge of the circle, holding it in place.
  6. Glue the center (I did inside and bottom) once you have it wound up into a rosette shape. Hold it until it dries (which is pretty quick.)
  7. Continue with the other circles.
  8. Once you have enough rosettes, wrap some paper around your Styrofoam foam to cover it and glue it in place.
  9. Glue the rosettes on in any design you like. You may make a cascade of blooms with only a few (like the one photo) or fill the wreath completely! Hang it on your door with a metal wreath hanger and enjoy!

Wow! It turned out great.

Thank you! Lots of laughs along the way too!

Very nice ! Thanks for sharing. I'll get to this as soon as I finish my remodel job, which is kicking my tail end. I'm saving this though. Thanks again

I love this and want to make one of my own. You could use sheet music or comic book pages.

So many different ways to personalize it. Thanks so much for sharing, this looks like a winning entry to me. :)

Anonymous

Yes, one could personalize it those ways too!
Thanks!

While this IS a pretty craft, I am distressed by all of the discarded and old books being used for crafts. A lot of the old books are still in good shape and very readable. To me, using books for crafts is like book burning!

As a past library director I can assure you that books are carefully weeded out for content. Some information becomes outdated and obsolete (think tech or even more important - health and medical for instance) and is actually dangerous to leave in collections!

I think its marvelous! Great job!!!

Anonymous

Thank you Attosa..

I cringed along with Nightsong, but totally see Donna's very good points. But seeing a book torn and sliced up does give me a sting (maybe being a writer is involved...)

But I DO know ONE book that would bring tears to very few eyes to dismantle--the useless phone books (we STILL have delivered to this day, believe it or not)!

We've used them for confetti, but this is a much better plan! And all those folks in there get somewhat honored in lieu of disgracefully recycled unread! Wins all around!

It is unfortunate that books are used like this. The knowledge given by books are just forgotten and kept in a Grave.

Anonymous

Although I am a devoted book lover, unloved/out-dated books can become beautiful works of art! Look up "altered books" and you can see some very beautiful and creative works of art!

It IS a form of recycling and also very creative!