A delicious recipe using some of that garden zucchini you might have in abundance right now. Savory beef stuffed zucchini shells made in the microwave and stove, instead of the hot oven for a great summer dinner!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Source: Taste of Home
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 1 cup pizza or spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup (4 oz.) grated cheese Monterey Jack or Cheddar (or your favorite)
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. I also cut a slice off the bottom so it stands on it's own to sit flat. Scoop out the zucchini centers.*
- Place zucchini shells in a microwavable dish, cover it and place it in the microwave for 3 minutes on high.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook ground meat and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from heat and stir in egg, sauce, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and one half of the cheese.
- Spoon into zucchini shells and microwave, uncovered on high for 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and microwave 3 to 4 minutes longer. If you have a thermometer, filling should be around 160 degrees and zucchini is tender.
- Serve with any additional sauce.
*I use them in another recipe Zucchini Fritters, that I will be entering on Thrifty Fun after this one. Look for it!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!