Single Income Living

This page is for discussing living on a single income. If you are doing this or have done this in the past and have advice for living on one income please share you experiences below.

If I were younger and wanting to be a stay at home mom with my baby, I would consider babysitting for a couple working moms. In most areas, you can sit with 2 or 3 without a daycare license. Check in your area. The start up for this home business would not be a lot. Or take a job in a day care center where they will let you bring your child. It will save you the expense of daycare for your baby while you are working and you will be able to spend more time with the child
Harlean from Arkansas

By auntdarween (Guest Post)

Dear Debbie,
There is nothing on this earth more precious than your own baby & you've waited all your life for her. It is heartbreaking for you to have to go out to a job leaving baby with a caregiver. No matter how wonderful the caregiver is, the fact remains SHE is watching your baby grow and getting paid for it. SHE has YOUR BABY AND YOUR hardearned MONEY!! [I've been where you are sweetie].

Go to an office supply store and purchase a pad of job applications, fill out a dozen or so, then go thru the phone book, make a list of all the churches, then mail an application to each one for the position of nursery worker. You will get paid & will get to take your child with you. Do a really good job and at Christmas time, you will be rewarded with many blessings from grateful parents.
Also, check around for a home care giving situation where you can help out. There are many elderly and/or disabled people needing help with housework, laundry, cooking, rides to doctor appts, etc... Most will welcome a small child's company while you are working for them, as they are lonely and miss their own families.
Take a deep breath and just DO It - whatever it takes to be able to stay home with your baby, they grow up sooooo fast, this time together will be gone in a flash & can never be brought back. God will bless your efforts & devotion to your family & will bless you some how some way so that you can do it. Good Luck & God Bless You & Yours....

The best way I have found for living on a single income is to start with a shopping list. Then I take my list to the $.99 Only Store: many things can be bought that you'd pay a lot more for elsewhere. I'm thinking of ziploc bags, tissue, trash bags, school supplies and plastic containers for starters. Then I shop at a big box store or an employee owned store.

My favorite in So Cal is Winco: love their open bin spices and baking supplies. I bought a half ounce of a spice (I'll probably never use again, cuz it was awful). It was for a new recipe and it cost $.23, the same spice in a 2-oz. McCormick bottle was $3.99! Lastly, I go to the local market and buy anything left on the list. I raised 2 kids on $8.69 per hour this way, trust me it works.