Making a Collage

ThriftyFun.com Staff

My co-worker and long time friend is a fan of Mary Engelbriet's artwork and has received many M.E. cards in the past few years from friends. She mentioned recently that she's been saving them to make a collage. I thought it would be a neat idea if I could do this for her as a birthday gift (her b'day is 12-25). But, before I commit to offering this, I'd have to have some idea of how to go about it. Any suggestions?

Mavis

Making a Collage: 1. Cut out the pictures and words you find. 2. Be creative in your cutting. You can use scissors with decorative edges available at most craft stores. 3. Arrange the cutouts on a blank greeting card, a piece of card stock or posterboard. 4. Try placing your cutouts in different ways. Overlap pieces or combine pictures in different combinations. 5. Glue the pictures to the backing with a glue stick or rubber cement once you have them arranged in a design you like. Rubber cement or a glue stick will work better than white glue for this project. White glue will cause paper cutouts to warp and wrinkle.

Another idea you could use is attach the cards with removable tape, to a piece of card stock or posterboard and frame them in a common sized frame with glass. Common frame sizes are quite often very inexpensive. That way the cards can be left in their original condition but will be protected.

Susan