VegetablesRecipes

Keeping Rhubarb from Getting Mushy When Cooked

What is the best way to cook Rhubarb so it's done, but keeps its shape? I want it to turn out like it does in the cans of Rhubarb you can buy. We grow it and like it, but I've never found a really good way to cook it. Please help. Thanks.

By Mary from UK

Have you tried spreading it out on a baking tray and roasting it in the oven.I saw this in one of the Barefoot Contessa shows. I don't know the amount of sugar or cooking times etc, but I'm sure you could find it on her website. When cooked it wasn't mushy at all. Hope this helps. Jan UK

Actually, rhubarb is not like something such as celery. It should not have a crunch to it. The full flavor comes out when it cooked thoroughly. Hope that helps. Wayne

I found a great recipe that combined the rhubarb with strawberries in a cream pie. The taste was great and people who were turned off by the thought of a rhubarb pie tried it and liked it.