Mosquito Problems, Decorate with Geraniums

I have a severe mosquito problem at my home. Only outside, thankfully, but that's where I like to spend all of my time. I don't have any standing water that I'm aware of but my lot is surrounded by pine trees. What can I do to get rid of them? I am getting anywhere from 3 to 50 bites (yes, that many) every time I walk outside for more than 5 minutes. I'm miserable. Please help!

Maggie from VA

Best Answer

Rub a little vinegar on your exposed skin. It repels "skeeters" quite well.

By hobo62 (Guest Post)

A couple of ideas. 1. From a previous post, wipe yourself down with a sheet of "Bounce" to keep mosquitos off. 2. In a small white dish, put a couple of inches of water and then add a small amount of lemon scented dish liquid. I know the second one works.

By Graham (Guest Post)

Use the GONE product. It works like a dream and no DEET.

It is a bracelet that you wear and it emits a beautiful fragrance that keeps mozzies away

By Savannah LeeAnne (Guest Post)

Here in the Southern states we need all the help we can get to "Rid the skeeters"! I know the marigolds work , I am pretty sure that you need a special type of geranium though! However they both look great.

By AM (Guest Post)

I live in NCR, India. Have tried using potted lemongrass and marigold placed next to doors. No effect. Did not crush the leaves though. In my next round of trials I will crush some leaves while they are still attached to the plant because I don't like rubbing anything on my skin.

I have also tried putting a few drops of lemongrass or citronella oil in water and heating it in lamps available for this purpose. However this too seems to have no or negligible effect.

What can be more efective is to burn 'mosquito coils' available in India outside the doors that are used for exiting the house.

I live in Houston, Texas, USA and we have mosquitos all year round, even in the winter.

I tried the Bounce dryer sheets and they didn't work for me, but I sure smelled nice!

Good luck!

I've found the best way to kill mosquitoes is with outdoor traps. They can cover a large or small area and are incredibly effective.

Here's a good link on how they work:

http://www.mosq  ow-it-works-demo

I had the same problem and was even afraid to walk to the composter without my Off fan. We had a standing joke that people invited me to their garden parties just to keep the mosquitos off the other guests.

Some people who camp out a lot told me to take extra B vitamins. And then I had a routine blood test at the dr. and found out I was low on vitamin B. He recommended B-12. I've been taking one 100 mg a day and haven't been bitten all summer.