ReusingGreen Living

What Can I Make Out of Speaker Cabinets?

What can I make out of speaker box cabinets? I hate throwing them away. Thanks.

Sunshine

By Denise from Irvine, KY

Denise, a lot will depend on what size they are but assuming you are talking about a rectangular box that is open on one side you could convert them to mini curio display type units. Add plexiglass shelves and a front plexiglass cover (with hinges) and if you are really handy, install art lighting on the inside. You could paint them to match decor or leave the original finish if it is still in good shape. Have fun!

Edited to add another idea: You could also drill a few holes in the side opposite the open side and use them as porch or patio planters. Again, either paint or leave in current finish as to your preference.

You could staple some carpet remnants and make a cat condo.

You could install shelves and use it to store paperback books, video games, cd's or other small items that need to be organized.

Thanks so much for all your ideas on the speaker cabinets. I will start working on them tomorrow. Thanks again Denise

Boxes open on back and front are quite in as wall art, but I would put a picture or poster on the wall after you mounted the box like a giant shadow box. Paint them to cordinated with the room you put them in.

Lay the speakers horizontally and add long boards to top and bottom to attach them to each other and lengthen the end pieces with longer same width boards to the floor and you have a bookcase headboard.

You could add shelves inside and put in closet to hold extra shoes.

Denise, I gutted mine and added shelves to hold my dvd's and CD's.