Helpful HintsFood Tips

Substitute Canned Tomatoes for Fresh

The price of fresh tomatoes keep going up, up, up and I use them almost daily. I have started using the canned tomatoes instead of the fresh and it really does save money! One brand I really like is the Del Monte Garden Select Sliced, I open and drain the juice into another container, which I save and use in cooking for liquid in other recipes. Drain the sliced tomatoes and they are ready to use on a sandwich or cut up in a green salad. They are also great in my broccoli or pasta salad instead of the little cherry tomatoes I used before the tomato prices went up.

I watch for canned tomatoes on sale. Almost every week, one of the stores I shop at has one of the tomato brands on sale. The juice saved from draining canned tomatoes can be used later in a variety of soups and sauces. Nothing is wasted!

By Bobbie G from Rockwall

An excellent idea. I went to get some fresh tomatoes the other day and was knocked back by the prices. I'll plant some this year for sure.

With the prices going up, we're all trying to find economical ways of making do and using everything up. It's these little hints that seem to have the greatest impact, since we use them the most. Thanks for sharing.

We've been buying canned tomatoes for several years. When we find an excellent price on them, we don't just buy a few cans, we'll buy a case of them. We use canned tomatoes alot, especially in chili, homemade soups, salsa, chili mac, spaghetti salad, etc. We like the fresh taste of the Muir Glen brand, without coupons they're quite costly, but with the recent $1.00 off 1 can coupon, they were only .24 cents a can at Walmart Superstore. We're only brand loyal on certain products, so after we run out of this brand of tomatoes, if some other brand were cheaper, we'd go that other route. Hubby swears we're going to have a garden this summer, with the costs of food skyrocketing.

My mom grows her own. Sometimes we have TOO much, which is great because I love tomatoes. I guess it would depend on what kind of climate you live in to grow them. But she grows them great. =) Cheap and probably healthy from all the preservatives in cans and chemicals they put on the fresh ones in supermarkets.

I wonder if growing tomatoes would be cheaper than buying canned?