Can I Clean Pots in a Self Cleaning Oven?

My pans are greasy and spotted on the bottom. Can I put them in my self cleaning oven? Thank you.

By dan noci from Las Vegas, NV

Dan, I only know that I can clean cast iron pots and pans because they don't have any non-metal handles, those would probably all melt, besides make a awful mess with any plastic in there. That happened to me once with a can opener was in my oven, and the black stinky plastic coating everything, and I had to do a major cleaning with the oven, and that wasn't with the oven self cleaner. And yes, I have no idea why my can opener was in the oven. lol.

The cast iron pans will clean well, but, afterward all of the seasoning is all gone, so you would have to start from the beginning.

If it is something that is not cast iron, I think there are lot's of tips in here for cleaning the ones that you have. Click on find on the menu and type something like "cleaning greasy and spotted pan bottoms" and see what comes up.

Spray the bottoms with Oven Cleaner and let them sit overnight in the sink. The grease should be dissolved by the morning and remaining remnants can be removed by scrubbing with liquid Metal Cleanser; first with 2/0 steel wool, followed by 4/0 steel wool.

Develop a habit of cleaning the pots after use.

Lower both your oven racks to the two bottom positions in the oven.
Line the lowest rack with aluminum foil (to catch any drippings from the pan).
Place the cookware upside down the the top rack in the oven.

Bake for 1 hour, turn off oven, and leave the cookware in the oven until it is cooled. Keep an eye on it, if you see a fire in oven turn it off, keep it closed till fire goes out, good luck.