AdviceCleaning

Cleaning Wicker Baskets

How do I clean wicker baskets?

By Debbie from Southern CA

With a vacuum & a brush, good luck.

I have sprayed them first with some watered down detergent and then with warm water from my kitchen sprayer and put somewhere to dry, like in the sun for a few hours. Does not seem to hurt them at all.

I've run them through the dishwasher before, with no ill effects. Use as cold of a water cycle as possible, with a very short run-time. Another thing that worked for me in the past was to rinse them out, in the tub, using the shower, then placing them outside in the sun to dry. I'm guessing that you could put them over a heat vent (from your furnace), for a similar effect.

However, I've only done this with the true wicker, bamboo, and willow-wand types of baskets. I'm not sure how a split-reed or woven split wood type, for example, would come out. The most important part of the trick, though, is to get it clean fast, and then dry it out fast. Good luck! :o)

I bought a really dirty wicker basket at an auction and had good luck with mild soap, a soft brush, and putting it in a little water in the bathtub. Rinsed it well and put outside to dry. Cleaned it well too.