DogsPets

Soap In a Dog's Eyes

Category Dogs

I got soap in my dogs eyes, what should I do?

Tammy from Shelby, MI

Anonymous

you can use either a drop of mineral oil in each eye prior to bathing or your local pet supermarket probably carries a safe oil to use. This doesn't harm the dog's eyes in any way and most dogs really hate it when water gets in their eyes. This is probably one of the reasons dogs hate to be bathed!
Some dogs generally just hate water and some dogs think they are about to be drowned.

I also use LARGE cotton balls to put in their ears to keep the water out. Otherwise it's impossible. I use Natural Animal shampoo so it's more dog friendly. You shouldn't be using a non-dog shampoo because they are to harsh for a dog's skin, & eyes. Not that you should get any shampoo in their eyes.

We also have 1 person holding the dog's chin up while the other washes the head. And cup your hand so you can continuously wipe the top of the head while you're washing/rinsing.

Since most soaps are strong Alkaline, I'd use a little vinegar (a VERY mild Acid) and water on a cotton ball and wipe dry to try to "neutralize" the stinging effect. The dog may not like it, but it should get well regardless.

I'd use the suggested Animal shampoo or baby shampoo next time. Also, a natural sudsy shampoo that might work is Yucca root, peeled and beaten with a small hammer or morter/pestal, then run over a small bowl of warm water until sudsy, IF you have Yucca. Good luck and God bless you. : )