Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs

When boiling eggs: after they come to a boil, turn the burner off and put a lid on the pot. Let them sit for around 30 minutes. They will then be done.

Source: From my local electric company many years ago.

By Rosemary from Tipp City, OH

I also make my hard boiled eggs this way but I only let the eggs sit for 10-12 minutes and they are perfectly cooked through.

Oh my, you really don't have to leave the eggs as long as 30 minutes. 10 - 12 is quite sufficient. Another hint is to remove one egg from the pan with a teaspoon & then with your fingers attempt to spin it. If it spins readily & well, it's done. If it flops about at times, it's not done. (This is because the undone yolk inside will roll against the sides of the egg not allowing the egg to spin.)

I had a farmer tell me that the only way to get a boiled egg to easily peel is to use at least 2 week old eggs. He claimed that new eggs will never peel clean no matter how they are cooked. I've experimented with this once already; cooked an egg out of a dozen then waited two weeks and cooked another; and what he said was true for my trial.

I agree about the age of the eggs. If I know ahead of time, I buy the eggs 10 days before I need them. If I need some in a hurry, I found buying them at a convenient store, rather than a grocery store, gives me the easiest peeling hard cooked eggs.

I put my eggs in cold water, let them come to a boil, then take pan off heat, cover pan, and let set for 17 minutes for large eggs, and 18 for X large. Perfect everytime.