LandscapingGardening

Help with Front Garden Bed Design

Category Landscaping

We're in desperate need of some assistance with our planting design. We have a tiny garden space (so small that it can't be described as a 'front garden') that is shared with our neighbours, a duplex nextdoor.

The first picture is the view from our front door (looking out towards the driveway and street) and we have planted box hedge on the driveway side. Should we continue the hedging across the front of the house and have the 3 camellias as a back drop? Should there be box hedge on both sides of the garden, which is essentially the neighbours side of the plot?

Please help. I really want to use box hedge, I thought it might be used to divide the garden plot somehow, however I'm having a lot of trouble staying within the design principles of a formal garden.

By Candice

I love box hedging too, and luckily your little front garden is perfect for using a method the French have used for years-parterre planting: Use the images in the link to inspire you to design a parterre garden in miniature:

www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source...

Use dwarf box (sometimes called Korean) to form your parterres, and in such a small space, I'd put a single specimen plant in each parterre-the camelilias with maybe a rose or peony for a centrepiece.