Food TipsFood and Recipes

Use Fruit and Veggie Scraps

Recycle your veggie and fruit trash! In separate bags - one for fruit and the other for veggies, save all your scraps that you go through for the week. For veggies save onion tops, carrots, tomato ends, potato shavings, etc. You can use these to make veggie stock. Just boil them in some water for an hour or so, add your spices to them and a little olive oil for some flavor and strain. You can make a soup on the spot or freeze it for later.

For the fruit, do the same with less water and throw in some spices and a tea bag or two. Makes a very aromatic and yummy cup of tea and the house smells great. Can refrigerate for up to 2 days.

By Nadine1077 from L.A., CA

Do you keep these scraps in freezer & add to from day to day for the week before making into useful foodstuffs? I assume this as otherwise they would rot, right? I compost but these are items I put in the compost but if I can use them in thisi way, it is even better. How do you keep them for the week?