My Frugal LifeFrugal Living

My Frugal Holiday: Buy Them What They Want

I wanted to let you know how my family shares for Christmas. We now ask what each other wants, because we want to get the gift they want and we don't want to waste money on unwanted gifts.

I'm thinking of asking my family members this year if they have any special magazines they like to read and then buying them a subscription to them. That way they'll enjoy it all year round. If not, I'll go back to my lotions, candy, and other various foods or gift cards.

Take care and Merry Christmas. God bless

By Alison C. from Ft. Wayne, Indiana

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

I started out trying to surprise each person with something they'd like. This worked sometimes, but many times they either didn't like it (wouldn't say so but I'd hear later through the grapevine), or id didn't fit, or they would get more than one of that item.

Next I tried asking what each person wanted and getting that. Again though, sometimes they'd get doubles. Or they'd change their minds about it before Christmas. Now I simply send a gift card to the kids, and a money order to the adults. This way the kids can get exactly what they want.

For the adults, they can use the money to get themselves something they like. Or they can use the money in any other way they choose. Like maybe going out for a nice dinner for just the two of them, or whatever. In this day and age, doing it this way makes more sense and is so much easier on the giver and the receiver.

I try to get for my family things that are not only wanted, but practical. My husband came up with an idea, and when I put it to my adult daughters, they thought it was an awesome idea, too. Instead of purchasing another trinket, we bought a hog from a farmer, had it delivered to the butcher shop. It is being processed, and the meat will be divided up between them for Christmas. Like your post, it is what they want. :-) And they will remember us I am sure at mealtimes!

I also like to give magazine subscriptions. I use www.bestdealmagazines.com. I don't have any affiliation with the company. I have used them for years and they are reliable and inexpensive. If you sign up, you get emails for discounts. Today and tomorrow they have a sale going on most of their magazines for 17% off with the code HOLIDAY17. Some of the magazines are as cheap as $4 or $5, some more but with a 17% off they are very reasonable. They don't have all magazines but a very good selection. This is a gift the recipients will enjoy all year.

Note: AOL does not like this site, so I use it on my Hotmail account. I'd be interested in hearing what experience others have had with this site or other magazine sites.

I love giving and receiving practical gifts. If I receive something I won't use I return it or give it away. No use keeping it. :)

This was so great I wish I had posted this before Christmas. Our family does this for the very same reason. We give a 5-10 item wishlist of sorts when our bd or anniv. or holiday etc.. are coming up. There are always items from $1 items to the very expensive for the family members who do want to spend some $. It is much better to get a couple pairs $2-3 black socks than to get an ugly shirt or something you won't wear for more. Trust me this has worked for our family for yrs. We used to always end up with unwanted gifts now we always get something we wanted or needed.. Plus you know the person you bought for really wanted or needed that item no matter the cost.