AppliancesCleaning

Grease Stains on Stainless Steel Microwave

My stainless steel microwave has lots of grease stains. The grease is stubborn. I have used soap and water, baking soda and liquid soap, vinegar, and barkeepers friend. Could I safely use a glass bowl of ammonia in the unit to loosen the grease over night and not discolor it? (no power - of course)

By Adelia from Pittsboro, NC

Try Windex.

Because I once worked in a hospital, we always used plain old rubbing alcohol (97%) to finish cleaning up our stainless steel sinks, cupboard doors, prep areas, counters, etc. Just put in a spray bottle and wipe with either paper towel or clean dry terry cloth towel or old face cloth. Make sure that the cloth you wipe dry with is dry (or only wet from the alcohol). Any streaks will evaporate. Alcohol is a great cleaner, inexpensive and you don't need a lot to clean with - just a small spray. Hope this helps!

I have never had anything work better than Barkeepers Friend. You may need to do it more than once. I am a cleaning lady and had to clean a stainless stove front that had never been cleaned.

It took 4 cleanings with Barkeepers Friend but it looked like new. Some of the satinless steel cleaners (Weimans) are very good too. Keep in mind that Barkeepers Friend can scratch. I use it on brushed stainless.