Thick Scum Build Up Around Toilet

I recently purchased a block of flats from some people who didn't clean, I'm having some trouble with the toilet in one of them. The outside of the toilet is covered in some sort of caked on build up, including all the piping and floor around it!

It's really unbelievable. I just cant force myself to scrub it by hand my husband had a go and it seems to be really stuck. I've tried spraying all sorts of cleaning products even hydrochloric acid on it hoping it will dissolve or eat it away.

It may have been building up for 7 years or more. Is there any hope? There has to be some sort of heavy duty scum eater!

Any help appreciated.

Bec from Australia

By Kim (Guest Post)

I have found that the cleaning product Greased Lightening can take up ANYTHING! Good Luck.

what is "a block of flats"?

We in the U.S. call them apartment buildings.
Susan from ThriftyFun

By trixyyates (Guest Post)

Try Mean Green,It works great for me.I have found it at the Dollar General,Family Dollar,and Walmart Stores.People even use it to detail their vehicle.I hope this will help you out ,Bonnie from Kentucky

By Becca (Guest Post)

Try soaking paper towels in white vinegar and leaving them on the affected areas. I've been amazed at what white vinegar can clean!

vinegar is a natural cleaner and disinfectant, good for you for recognizing its non toxic, natural cleaning properties. I use it to clean cookers, floors, windows, counter tops, carpet stains etc. And as a plus, only cost $2 US for a gallon.

By Sheliac (Guest Post)

Try spraying it with white vinegar, let it set a few minutes and then scrub.

I think you would be ahead to call this toilet a loss, and just replace it.

By Myshka (Guest Post)

Use White Vinegar.
It kills scumb, mold & lime and all dirt. You can actually wash mildew off walls using vinegar & a mop.

Vinegar is cheap, Easy to use and the vinegar smell goes away in a day or less.

By Saeed Ur Rahman (Guest Post)

Use White vinegar it is really eating up scum. Apply and wait for 5-10 minutes and then scrub with hard sponge.

Is there a difference between white vinegar and cider vinegar, that the white would work and not the other? Just wondered because I was given 4 gallon jars of cider vinegar.

Best Answer

Both will work. White vinegar is preferred for cleaning due to the much cheaper cost. If you have access to free cider vinegar, use if for cleaning, it works just as well as white.

Hi Bec,
If there is a drain hole in the floor maybe you could get out the big guns & gerni (high pressure cleaning) the heck out of it. I'm surprised that the pool acid didn't put a dint in it! Or spray (experiment with different cleaners) & scrap with a paint scrapper. Good luck.

Susan from Brisbane