General AdviceConsumer Advice

Finding Vet Services for a Stray Dog

I need a cheap vet to make sure a stray dog I attracted is well. I doubt I can keep him long due to the size of my apartment and lack of money; I am just starting out. I also have a rather large lab mix which makes my place already a bit small and yet I would not trade him for anything. My main issue is how do you get vaccinations and a check up for a stray who you know little to nothing about when you barely have money to stay afloat?

By rooh from Brownsburg, IN

Is there a no kill animal shelter near you? If you can, I would take him there. If not, call a vet and ask him if there are any services.

Anonymous

Your local animal shelters, Humane Society and/or ASPCA just might perform these neccessities for free or a very low cost. It's worth calling to find out. You should talk to them about neutering too.

We are in the process of saving a very emaciated stray pup with several health issues due to the neglect. We found that calling around to vet offices and explaining the situation resulted in a wonderful vet that gave a full 30% discount on all treatments and a free evaluation.

Sadly, vets are use to these situations and many are prepared to help.

Take the dog to your local Humane Society. Identify the dog as a stray and be willing to turn it over to them. But, if you like the dog, let them know you'd be willing to foster it for a few months. Ours gives the dog a vet check, shots, neuters and often will even help with dog food rather than confining the dog to overcrowded facilities. I used to foster them and they supplied the food. I'd train the dog because they are easier to place.