Calming a Dog with Severe Separation Anxiety

What was the Japanese flute music mentioned as being helpful? Thought I might be able to find some at the library. Thanks.

By Jean Cheesman

Over the years I've had a couple of dogs who suffered from extreme separation anxiety, poor things! One dog was so frantic at being left alone that he drooled buckets, and another would shred anything he could get his teeth and claws on. Awful, I felt so badly for them!

The most successful solution was crating them, and leaving the TV on near-by. The crate contained them in a safe and comfortable place, and the TV seemed to make them less lonely-I think they could hear the voices on TV and I dunno, maybe it made the pups think I'd be back soon? Anyway, it worked. I noticed that if the TV wasn't on the dog would chew more; if on, the dog seemed to sleep more.

It wasn't as bad when I was a stay-at-home mum because I wasn't usually out of the house for more than a couple of hours at a time. After my divorce, though, I went back to work full-time, and had to use my lunch hours to run home and let the dog out. Still, my last dog lived to be over 13 years old-and in a Boxer, that's amazing. The vet was sure he lived so long because he was so happy with me. (Gosh I hope so! Sure made me feel better when the vet said that:)

The music I was referring to in my suggestion is Shakuhachi Meditation Music by Stan Richardson. You can find the CD online at around $3 for a used CD and $10 for a new CD. It really does quickly relax my pets. Hope you find it helpful.