Helpful HintsCars

Keep Spare Gas for Emergencies

I had leftover gas in my containers for the lawn mowers and not enough gas in my truck. Instead of throwing this gas away, knowing it was still good, I used it in my truck to get to the closest gas station. It worked like a charm. I now keep a container just for emergencies.

By Barbara from Atlantic, VA

There is a way to avoid this type of emergency. When I had a car I never let the tank get less than 1/4 full, especially in the winter. I have always been low income, but to me I always thought I would rather be safe than sorry.

If you keep gas for very long it needs thinning, now that it is unleaded. There is an additive that will keep it fresh. I always had some left over from my lawn mower in a jerry can. I give it to my neighbor for washing parts in the spring, it won't even start the lawnmower after sitting over the winter.

Good point, RedHatterB. It scares me when hubby runs our 3/4 ton van on empty. I know how expensive a new fuel pump is for this vehicle! Carrying at least one gallon of "reserve" gas is a good idea, with only a couple of cautions: first, empty it into your tank and put in a fresh supply every so often.

Second, Be very, very sure the container closes securely. Spilled gas, even in the trunk, can be awful!