MiscellaneousMake Your Own

Braided Rug Question

Category Miscellaneous

I need help making a braided rug. I've tried putting it together 4 or 5 times, and it always begins to buckle in the center. I've loosened the stitching between the rows and tightened it, always with the same results. Some of the wool is of slightly different weight (thickness) than others. Can anyone help?

Have you ever tried making a braided rug out of material scraps around the house? Or go to your local fabric store and buy fabric that is on sale? It's real easy and fun. You can make it any color and shape you want. They are real pretty. You can add some of that really soft yarn to it also. Or you can make it out of all polor fleece material to give it a soft warm feeling. let me know how this works out for you!! have a great day

I just read this and you may have an answer already, but, just in case... This is what my dear Grandmother-in-law said about your problem. She loved to tell how other people had the problem you're having, but she never had that problem, and she made beautiful room size to door size oval braided rugs out of scrap wool. They are still in beautiful condition. (They were probably made in the 40s to the 60s). I can only go by what she said, I don't have experience with it. She said that as you turn a curve, pull on the outside of the braid. With wool, you can do this easily. Not one of her rugs have or ever had a ripple in them. I know how hard this is to achieve, but she did it. The trick is to use wool, I think. Getting the right pull may take practice. I hope this helps!