Overwintering Potted Plants

I had some beautiful potted plants this year. I was wondering if any of them can be moved indoors. I have gardenias, verbena, petunias, and geraniums. Can any outdoor plants survive indoors?

By Deb from UT

I used to have a neighbor that had a potted hibiscus plant and all she did in the winter was put it in her unheated garage over the winter. I would think if a plant can withstand the outside elements they would survive inside too. By the way I live in South Dakota so winters in an unheated garage can be fairly cold.

I'm trying it with gaura and a few other plants. If you have pets (particularly cats), just make sure that the plants are not poisonous, lilies are a big no-no for cats, as are a lot of others. Here's a list of poisonous plants if anyone needs it:

www.cfainc.org/.../plants.html

I bring quite a few of my plants inside for the winter, since I am in NW Michigan and we get pretty cold in the winter. I have kept some plants in our unheated garage (temps stay around 35-40 degrees in the garage), but most I have in our mud room and use gro-lights and full-spectrum lights. I always figure that it is worth a try with plants, since they will surely die outside. I have been surprised over the years with which ones will survive and which ones don't make it.

I have three potted mums and was wondering if I can keep them in the pots over the winter? I live in northern Illinois.

By Evaline L.

Answers

You can leave them in the pots but need to bring them inside. Trim down, and put them in a dark place. Better yet plant them in the yard as soon as possible.

Trim down and cover with mulch or a big pile of leaves. Mine come back each spring and I think they are better off being planted. I live in Ma. and it gets pretty cold here!