TreesGardening

Getting Rid of Walnut Trees

For the ten years I've been living in my home, I've been fighting the same walnut trees year after year. I cut them down, they grow right back. Some are growing through the fence and some are in my rose bushes. How can I get rid of them permanently without damaging the other plants?

Hardiness Zone:

By Adelia from Springfield, MO

TORDUN will prevent your cut trees from sprouting roots. It's a liquid you pour over the fresh cut tree. If you've already cut the tree and it's an old cutting, you will need to make a new cut on it to use this product properly for it to work. Southwest Landmark sold this stuff years ago and we haven't needed anymore since. If you can't find it there, do a google search.

I am sorry to hear you are trying to kill them off, walnut wood is the most valuable and sought after. It can be a pain to grow a garden when shade trees are everywhere though....just about everything needs full sun!

I've had great sucess with Tordon RTU. (I checked the spelling this is right). I've used it on Black Walnuts, Sumacs, Boxelders it works great.

Do not spray it, paint it on the stumps not before it rains you don't want it running into surrounding plants.
Important! Wear rubber gloves. Here's a link where you can buy it.
www.treestuff.com/.../catalog.asp?item=379

Anonymous

Have you thought about replanting them in flower pots and selling them for a few dollars. That's what I would do. I know I would buy some.