BirdsPets

Cornbread for Birds

One of the winter favorites for birds (which include chickadees, blue jays, juncos, starlings, cardinals and sparrows, as well as others) is corn bread.

• 1 1/2 cups corn meal
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 cup fat drippings or lard
  • 1 1/2 cups water

Directions:

Mix all ingredients and bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes. When done, corn bread can be placed in a feeder or leave it in a large piece and put it in a mesh onion bag and hang from a branch or feeder.

By Irishwitch from Aurora, CO

I've done this for years and is a favorite in my yard. All the critters from the birds to the squirrels to the chipmunks lineup for their turn to nibble. I end up putting out up to 10 different feeding spots to accommodate everyone. This is of course why I never get anything done. Lol, but to see the animals enjoy it so much and keep coming back for more is well worth my time.

• 1 box cornbread
  • 1 egg with shell
  • 1 cup birdseed

Preparation:

Make the cornmeal according to the directions on the back of the box. Before baking the mix, add the egg, crushed with the shell for extra calcium. Bake according to package directions. Crumble the cornbread and combine with birdseed. Press into muffin tin.

Put treat into an extra seed cup for your pet bird. Don't be surprised if your bird doesn't take to it right away - birds are very cautious about trying new foods.

For wild birdseed treats, use seed for wild birds instead of your seed that you use for your pet bird.

Jenny in KY

I've seen with my own eyes that, unless you use an ALL NATURAL Corn Bread Mix, pre pkgd mixes are very harmful to birds!! WHY...., When it tastes sooo good and they absolutely LOVE it...? BECAUSE.... there are preservatives in it, And birds bodies are NOT equipt to process PRESERVATIVES!! Plus, look at how SMALL they are it would not take much for those preservatives to reach TOXIC levels in their bodies!

A couple effects you can detect visually are: Feathers thinning and falling out. And HUGE growth in the chest area. (Don't know if it a Tumor or excessive fat or What)???
All of this is just to stress the importance of making sure that whatever you feed birds, make SURE its All Natural and Double check and make sure that is SAFE to feed to the SPECIFIC birds that you are feeding!
That's one of the best ways to REALLY show that you LOVE THEM!!