PaintingHome Improvement

Using Gray Paint as Primer

Can I use gray paint as primer under red paint. I need to know this fast, as I am about ready to paint. Thank you.

Toebeanie from Warrensburg, MO

You can but the paint may fail.Meaning the paint could peel in time. Better to apply a gray primer first. Also what are you painting?

Yes, always use gray paint. It is the only color that will not change/alter the color of your top coat.

Yes, gray is definitely the best primer for red. My husband and I found that out after 6 coats of paint in one room! I'll always remember to use gray from now on... Good luck!

I am painting over a white satin finish wall. I am painting other walls gray and just thought I could paint it all gray first, but wondered if it needed to be primer. Thank you and sorry I wasn't clear.

Grey paint is fine and is much preferable to white under red .

HOWEVER, THE VERY BEST option is to have the paint store tint your primer red it will save you the most coats of paint.

Painting a room red can get very expensive (in terms of needing several coats to get even coverage) if you start with white.

The tip of having the paint store tint you primer to match your paint color is actually a good tip for any saturated paint color you are going for.

I agree with Tahlula who said "THE VERY BEST option is to have the paint store tint your primer red it will save you the most coats of paint" ...Always have your primer tinted as close to your paint color as possible & this goes double with YELLOW & RED, which are both transparent.

Absolutely. I have mixed and used paint for many years and the best way to get a true red red is to use a gray primer. I learned this a long time ago working for Devoe. They had a customer viewing chart that was very efficient.